Thursday, March 5, 2009

Paul Neary and HUNTER

Is there anyone out there that remembers a talk, about the art of making comics, that Paul Neary gave in a small building in Birmingham's Cannon Hill Park?

If my memory is correct, the event was arranged by Phil Clarke in the Autumn of 1974 or the Spring of 1975.  The collected edition of Mr. Neary's "Hunter" in Eerie #69, cover dated October 1975, had not then been released in England, so I am fairly comfortable with the time and place being correct.

Any how, it was the first time that I got to see a living, breathing, comic book artist talk about the nuts and bolts of drawing and as such, it was a great thrill.  Truthfully, the only point he made at the time, that I can still remember, was about the very first page of the "Hunter" series that he drew.  He had made a cardinal error, being young and inexperienced, dividing that first page into two vertical panels and his editor told him so, in  no uncertain way!  Warren published the page as he had drawn it, I no longer remember why, but he had redrawn that page as a traditional Splash Page for the collected edition.  Magic stuff to me at that time.

It was fun, very innocent and naive by modern standards.  I'm pretty sure that Mr. Neary didn't make any money from being there and probably, neither did Mr. Clarke.  I haven't a clue what the tickets cost but knowing the times, probably 25 or 50 pence.



No comments:

Post a Comment