Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's been a while!


I have been remiss in being a decent Blogger, to say the least and I can't honestly say that I will be much better in the future, but I will try.

I was going through some old papers yesterday and I ran across the only example that I have left from my earliest days as a comic book collector, at least as it pertains to buying them through the mail.  John, I forget his last name, sold me a heck of a collection of beautiful early Marvel Comics.  I first got in touch with him through an advert in the old Exchange and Mart, a weekly buy and sell newspaper, and he continued to sell me 10 to 20 comics each time he wrote.  I don't think that I ever passed over a single comic that he offered, why would I, when they were all in Mint condition!

I bought a lot of early Tales to Astonish, including the first appearance of Ant Man, Tales of Suspense, the first Iron Man, Journey into Mystery, the first Thor... but you get the picture.  There were lots of DC books too, works by Kubert, Ditko and Kane, there were a lot of comics changing hands and I wish I still had them all but, I was young and very foolish and while I still have some of the books I bought from John, most were left behind when I immigrated to Canada back in 1980.

This one is for John, where ever he may be.  We only ever wrote to each other and most of that was business related but I remember him fondly and wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment